RECIPE: TASMANIAN APPLE CAKE
September has taken the Wilsons in Wanderland Book Club all the way to Australia this month- Tasmania, to be exact- as we read Vanishing Falls, by author Poppy Gee. It wouldn’t be a book club for “travel eating and reading” if we didn’t experiment with some local delicacies from the location of our current literary trip.
As apples are one of the most important crops in Tasmania, (in the 1960’s Tasmania was exporting millions of crates of apples per year), I thought it would be fun to try this simple but tasty recipe for Apple Cake. And as I had hoped, it is everything I had thought it would be- just sweet, fruity and buttery enough to be breakfast, an afternoon snack or dessert!
Give it a try and let me know what you think! … Happy baking, mates!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 2 cups stewed apple
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Cream butter and sugar together thoroughly. Add egg and both kinds of flour and mix well.
- Line the bottom of an 8″ x 8″ pan with half the mixture.
- Add a layer of stewed apples and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Roll out remainder of dough mixture and cover the apples.
- Cook slowly until golden brown.