RECIPE: Transport Yourself to Barbados with this Caribbean Cocktail
Not too far into our November Book Club pick, The Summer Country, I made mental note of a drink that some of the characters were having- Claret wine with rum and lime juice- and knew it was something I (and our group) needed to try. With a little help from our friends at Google, I found what is apparently referred to as “The Bishop,” a cocktail incorporating all of the ingredients mentioned in the book (plus simple syrup, which can only heighten the experience).
I’m planning to make one of these bad boys to enjoy during our author discussion with Lauren Willig (make sure to RSVP for that here!) and I encourage other wine/rum lovers to do the same.
See ingredient list and instructions on how to concoct this cocktail at home. And let us know- have you had the Bishop before??
- 3 oz. rum of choice -see here for a list of rum from Barbados, specifically.
- 1.5 oz. red wine
- ¼ oz. lime juice
- ¼ oz. simple syrup (or Agave, which is my personal fave)
- lime wedge for garnish
- Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Enjoy and be transported to the tropics!